Formal at Oxford: Tradition and History


I am fascinated by museums and history. As a boy, I enjoyed playing with old books and searching for hidden items. Often, I was reprimanded by my bemused mother whenever I engaged in random searches that left a mess. It felt exhilarating finding and reading old stuff (it still does). Ancient things are special, more so here in Oxford, where the ancient and modern exist side by side. Two beautiful stark opposites that must co-exist. For instance, Merton’s Mob Quadrangle, dates  as far back as the 1260’s. When standing in it, one can experience what it felt like to study in the medieval times. In contrast to the 2008 Hawkins/Brown designed Biochemistry building, a seamless contemporary laboratory. These, alongside the many ancient traditions make Oxford unique. They include, the culture of wearing the sub-fusc (University gown) to different university events, the formals, exam carnations and endless Latin references. While some colleges are relatively modern and recent, what they lack in ancient structures, they make up for with better resources, spacious common rooms, lecture theatres and beautiful gardens. It is a tradeoff. In this blog post, I will share my experience of attending a formal (a dinner hosted at an Oxford college hall) and use it to highlight the significance of maintaining traditions and history.
Before I arrived for studies at Oxford, I was eager to attend as many formals in as many different colleges. Members of each college have the privilege of attending formals at their colleges, and may invite up to two or three guests. Formals themselves take on various traditions and nomenclature, for example; Lincoln College calls its formal “The Great Hall” while at Oriel, as is at Lincoln, before formal, a student/bible clerk must recite a version of the Grace in Latin. Formals are popular (not just for the chandelier and three-course meals but) because you get the chance to interact with other students at the college. Above all else, it is a great opportunity to visit other college halls. For example, Christ Church College (which counts Charles Dodgson as one of its alumni) is immensely popular as it is believed to have inspired the Dining Hall in the Harry Potter movies. Formals also help develop camaraderie because one gets to engage and talk to academically gifted and interesting individuals, sometimes over good wine or apple juice.
One Friday after a revision seminar at St Hughes College, I rushed to pick up a few groceries. While at the grocery store, Julien, a classmate, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I had any plans for the rest of the evening. We had mooted the idea of having exchange formals at each other’s colleges but had not yet decided on when we would do that. He invited me to a formal at Lady Margaret Hall (LMH) that evening at 7:20pm. Some seats had become recently available because a colleague’s intended guests had their flight delayed, and could not make it in time. Although, I could have easily given him a rain check due to the  the looming examination clouds hovering over my head, I asked what the menu was.  When he clarified that it was not an exclusively vegetarian dinner, I happily accepted the invitation.
Different colleges require specific  dress codes for their formals. I asked Julien if we had to suit up or wear the sub-fusc to which he replied that there wasn’t  a particular dress code. Perhaps that’s (one of the reasons) why LMH is known as a liberal college. He accompanied me till I bought all my groceries.  We walked out of the store to Magdalene Street, where we parted ways and agreed to meet up at 6.50pm outside my accommodation. Julien jumped on his bicycle and rode to his place to change. I dressed up, sat on my bed and waited for his message to confirm his arrival at our agreed rendez vous. Upon his confirmation I came out on Ship Street. It was windy and cloudy.  We are neither fortune tellers nor meteorologists, but could tell it was just a matter of time before a heavy downpour would follow. We therefore needed to rush to LMH. First, to obviously avoid the rain but even more so, to make sure we got the nicest seats. Although Julien had come with his bicycle, we decided to walk, so he had to drag it along.
As we reached the end of Turl street, it started raining heavily. We started running. It was more difficult for my colleague as he had a bicycle to maneuver with. We sheltered ourselves at the intersection between Blackwell’s and the Weston library for close to ten minutes. It was now 6.59pm.  If we were to make it in time, we had to rush through the rain. We continued running again, like boys rushing to the school bus.  We ran across Broad Street, switched onto Parks Road.  
We made it on time, soaking wet. Even though we had our rain coats on, our shoes, and trousers were literally dripping with water.  We put off our rain coats and hung them by the entrance. Our blazers, shirts and bow ties, still looked sharp. But for our shoes and trouser hems, you could not tell what we had gone through. While we had been stressed and thinking about the upcoming exams, we left all that stress at the entrance of the hall, just like we had our rain coats.
One of our mutual friends had reserved us the best seats in the Hall, right in the middle column. Unlike most college halls, with benches, LMH has chairs.  Therefore, one did not have to shift whenever someone wanted to leave their seat. The hall was well lit; everyone was really dressed up. I loved how the rays of the sun shone, peering through the high sealed windows of the Hall. That, combined with the candle lights made the hall come to life.  The Principal (Head of House) who, sits with senior fellows at the high table, struck the gavel. Someone said the Grace and the festivities began. Porters rushed through the corridors and served, the starters, main course and then the desert. That night, I enjoyed the company of my neighbors. The conversations spanned across many topics, and I learnt about new places, cultures and we exchanged ideas.  After the dinner, as is usually the case we then proceeded to the Middle Common Room (MCR). I met more new people, some were students from Newnham College, LMH’s sister college in “the other place” (Cambridge University). 
The best seats in the house, Lady Margaret Hall.

It was a good way to wind up the day. I made new friends and I learnt about the amazing research that people are carrying out. Formals are a great opportunity to connect with people, have good food and above all get immersed in one of the many traditions. They make one holistic.  While some students have argued against  traditions, for example, wearing the sub-fusc to every examination, others have expressed discontentment with some of the ancient buildings because of their small corridors, steep stairs and poor heating systems. These, may be valid shortcomings to preservation of the ancient, however, the structures have a human feel to it, that we are not all free from flaws.  They connect us to what the past was, and in so doing, they hold intrinsic value. This encourages continuity and appreciation of history. For instance, through formals one broadens their network and learns the value of being versatile enough to maintain conversations with persons from different specialties.   Truman comments in his Memoirs,1945: “Year of Decisions”, “I had trained myself to look back into history for precedents, because instinctively I sought perspective in the span of history for the decisions I had to make. That is why I read and re-read history. Most of the problems any person has to face have their roots in the past.” 





Comments

  1. Awesome.....a window into life at Oxford!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely insight in to some of Oxfords traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Oxford ancient Traditions! Great article

      Delete
  3. Good piece. Timely for me. There's need for Africans to learn from this and uphold our traditions/customs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider reading this time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remarkable observation and clear articulation. What I appreciate from such universities is the ability to preserve their traditions. It is not by surprise that Oxford attracts many tourists on daily basis particularly from the Asian continent. Formals are indeed one of the components of a rich and diverse culture that different colleges have sustained. I wish we had such in our universities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I couldn't agree any more , Joseph. There is work to be done, back home!

      Delete
  6. As always, great piece Joel! I imagined it like a short film as u guys ran in the rain and your friend dragged his bicycle along! Atleast you got to the hall in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Shirlyne. Indeed, it was a short film, we lived in the moment.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I am very fascinated by your passion for exploration bro. This piece of work makes me feel like I am part of this wonderful experience. To me you have always changed the long held narrative that curiosity killed a cat to curiosity made Joel move places!

    Again, thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of writing. It has indeed advanced my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these very kind words. That's a nice one, on curiosity! Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  8. The description is so vivid. I feel like I was there too. Its a good story. informative as well. Perhaps I'll learn to re-visit history

    ReplyDelete
  9. Insightful piece Joel, impressed by your thoughts about heritage, especially when it meets the grandeur of the modern...these thoughts are rare, they are a reward of your curiosity and a self largely rooted in the experience of time, past and present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. You are ever so kind. Indeed, W. Faulkner sums it well, "The past is never dead."

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful post Joel; I certainly miss grabbing formal dinners with you at Lincoln!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam, for contributing to this wonderful experience. That night at Lincoln, and the drinks at the MCR, are part of my fondest memories.

      Delete
  11. Wow! Awesome! Thank you for this. I have gotten a feel of how it is to be there as I prepare for the same. Thanks Counsel Basoga Joel. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your writing style and quality of thought. Very true. A lot of the problems we face are rooted in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. I agree,on the point about History.

      Delete
  13. Big brother bravo🎉🎉 That dining looks exactly like Hogwarts'

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an experience to share....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome my dear...well written as you know we all have different perceptions of traditions and history but this is a good analysis. Just keep the fire burning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good times Joel. Keep these wonderful memories with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is well articulated my brother. I hope the Latin is something you've interested yourself in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiira. I will consider it in due course.

      Delete
  18. This is a great piece of good story telling. You should consider writing a book. I was imagining everything you went through and you captured all the moments very well. What happened to your wet pants? Brother Vusi from Eswatini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brother Vusi, you are very kind. Hopefully, I will write a book. The trousers eventually dried up, somehow.

      Delete
  19. You are such a Great writer. Soar higher.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so amazing!
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  21. After reading this well articulated piece I feel we should all value history and keep all the beautiful historical features that need to be kept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is significant value in reading and appreaciating history.

      Delete
  22. Beautiful written Joel! Really nice to get an image and feel like I have been there now :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joel, just asking: what's the difference between ancient and modern? Some of us question those divides because I think they're the most diffuse of concepts in the academy.

    On the other hand, I think your love for the ancient should lead you to York and the University of St. Andrews. Of course the first is out of my selfishness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be visiting York, as I had mentioned earlier.

      You raise an interesting view. It may not be clear how the two are distinguished especially in academia, however, a good starting point, could be the temporal scope as a measuring rod.

      Delete
  24. Beautifully written- Traditions shared and preserved!!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Agnes. Thanks once again.

      Delete
  25. This is extremely beautiful and am fascinated by the hand with which you write.
    ancient traditions always get their way afterall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mevis. You are very kind. I agree, they tend to always get their way.

      Delete
  26. This is really beautiful joel and extremely impressive!!!!!! The descriptions and the vocabulary is really remarkable too!!! God sure did give you a writing talent,GO JOEL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great read Joel. You are an amazing storyteller. I just thought that using the word 'porters somewhere in the 7th paragraph sounded a little bit derogatory. Perhaps replace with something like 'waiters'. Otherwise keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. It is really good to get positive feedback and even better to get criticism, because it helps one to write better.

      I understand where you are coming from. I recognise, from another setting, it could be construed as derogatory. It was not meant to be derogative in this context. The title Porter is a cause of prestige within Oxford and I meant to use it in that context.

      At each college, these are designated positions which are headed by a Head or Cheif Porter. They are in charge of buildings as officials , access, maintenance and other responsibilities. Each college does have a Porters Lodge. Which doubles as the official entrance to the college. Members of each college have their pigeon holes within the porters lodge. I meant Porter in that actual sense, as a position, it is a respectable position within Oxford.

      I should have perhaps explained this context within the post.

      Delete
    2. Ben, you will be shocked at the power Porters have. They can mess up your stay at any College and they are the first point of contact. Even Universities that doe not have the College system as it is at Cantab or Oxon, the Porter is one such powerful personality.

      Forget the Ugandan porter, these one have real power and authority that some academic staff may never have

      Delete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice interesting story my mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Joel.. interesting insight..keep them coming..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very well articulated Joel. Continue to share the beautiful experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll hopefully continue to do so.

      Delete
  32. Such a wonderful and deep highlight of the traditions at Oxford. Remember culture does not make people but rather people do make culture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback and insight on culture.

      Delete
  33. This is amazing to read. Thank you Joel

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely loved this, taught me new things and was a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts