My Father's Face



Losing a parent as a child can be devastating – Prince Harry in his tour of Africa documentary compares the death of his mother, the late Princess Diana to a wound that festers. Although initially, due to the carefree nature of infancy, one may not grasp the immediate absence of a parent, as years go by, there is undeniably a vacuum that grows and perhaps forever remains empty. More especially as a teenager longing for validation and approval with raging hormones. There are conversations that one may only have with their father, or personal moments where I would have given the world for both of my parents to be present – as first hand witnesses.

Last year as I graduated from Oxford University, I wished my father was right there with me, to see what I had accomplished, and give me a pat on the back. I am eternally grateful to my mother, of course. She has been phenomenal and rock solid, raising four kids by herself, providing, listening and playing dual roles as mum and dad, is unmatchable. For Rio Ferdinand, when his wife succumbed to breast cancer, Rio like many other widowers and widows was also an outspoken single parent until he recently re-married. My mother however, has been taller than Rio, defending us and tackling our threats away. Making sure our consciences were a clean sheet. An ever-imposing figure who has always been behind our backs and directed us with love. But still, sometimes, I can’t help but imagine, where my father is, how he’d be if he were here today, and if I turned out as he hoped I would.


My graduation at the Sheldonian Theatre, University of Oxford, United Kingdom

Each year I reminisce about my father. As children we learn a lot of things from our parents. They introduce to us this new world, which undoubtedly seems challenging at first sight. Most babies cry out loud when they emerge from their mother’s womb.  Gary Chapman, says that children need to be filled with love, and that this love contributes to the normal development of a child. Indeed, at the heart of most humans, is the earnest desire to be loved, especially for a baby who comes out of the womb and sees light for the first time in such an unfamiliar world where they now have to breathe on their own. Perhaps that is why we grow fond of those who have conceived us. We seek to understand this world, by relying on those, who have made us. Certainly so, my father and mother played a pivotal role to the person I am today.




30 April 2003.

I wore an over sized maroon shirt and shorts with my sweater tied loosely around my waist.  The shorts really exposed my then pale legs that could pass for slender pieces of cassava. We were dancing in preparation for the Music Dance and Drama competitions at my primary school. I wanted to take part in that year’s competition, because I wanted my parents to see me on stage. Little did I know that I would not even feature in that year’s music and dance celebrations. As we continued our practice, the Head Mistress walked into the dance room. This was unusual.  We all stood still, as we had been told, as a sign of respect to our teachers. She walked up to me and held my hand. The last time, I had interacted with her, she gave me a letter to deliver to my father, inviting him to be a guest of honour at the school sports day. I wondered what it was this time! 

She took me outside the room and told me that she had some sad news to share. I was worried. What could it be? What had I done? She told me that my father had passed away, and that the school extended their heartfelt condolences. I was in disbelief as to what this meant and whether it was true. I walked back to the dormitories, my feet and shoulders felt unusually heavy. I took deep breaths as I tried to process the news. While some of the pupils were playing around the dormitories, I could hardly notice them – they were like blurred and abstract objects floating in the atmosphere. I reached my dorm and laid back on my bed and looked at the ceiling with sunken eyes.




Childhood.

My father welcomed so many people into his house. I was fortunate to grow up in a large household. At one time, we had close to fifteen people at home; siblings, cousins, aunties, uncles and close family friends. We certainly could field a football team with substitutes. My parent’s house may not have been the biggest but certainly their heart had all the rooms.  I think my parents operated an open home policy. Even for a Ugandan home, fifteen is a large number, but I cherished this. It meant I had more people to play with. It also meant that when food was bought, it was bought in bulk, and, when my parents bought clothes, they had to buy matching clothes for those of the same gender, so that everyone felt included and none was left out. 

I always looked forward to the Christmas holidays because it meant going to the village. My father bought a mini- bus, it was painted white with blue stripes. It was licensed to carry about thirty passengers and would suit a family that operated an open home policy. During the Christmas holidays, our entire household got into the bus, and we would set off for my ancestral village, in Eastern Uganda. I enjoyed these trips. My mother and father sat at the front as we drove off to the village.  Half way through the journey, the bus would always stop. My dad would stand up and ask us to get something to eat. Most of us would get roasted chicken and ‘gonja’ (plantain). All we ate was on the house.  Just as we were in one bus, there was a sense of oneness. On that bus singing songs about life, shouting back at the air. A journey with family was home on the road. Despite our numbers, as children growing up in this household we learnt to stick together.  Although the bus could have been a convenient means to minimise the cost of travel, through these journeys, I learnt the significance of family, sticking together, and being there for one another. Most importantly the generosity of my father.




30 April 2020.

I have heard a lot about my father in third person. During my undergraduate internship, I heard amazing stories about those that had worked with him. Later, when I worked within a commercial law firm, after I had just passed my bar exams, when one senior lawyer heard my name for the first time, he shook my hand so vigorously. He told me, that if I was just half of what my father was, I would be a great lawyer. My father was not a lawyer, he studied journalism, was a businessman and Member of Parliament. How did he make such an impression on these people? 

Although, I have benefited from the legacy of my father and one could assume that he was Martin Luther King Jr, he wasn’t, and neither was he a saint. As a journalist turned politician, my father must have bruised a few shoulders on his way up.  I have heard some interesting accounts about him, but I would not be a great son if I dwelt on his flaws, posthumously. After all, as humans we are not free from flaws, it is perhaps the most consistent of all human characteristics, imperfection.




Despite his imperfections, every 30th April, as his son, I remember him. I am proud of most of the things I have heard about him. This feedback has given me a push to strive to be better. Undoubtedly, I am not the most objective person to speak about my father, but I am uniquely placed as his son. I hope that I have become the person he hoped me to be, or rather that he would approve of my choices. I wonder what his face would look like today. Though he is not here, I know that whenever I open myself to helping others, whenever I am generous and whenever I excel at whatever I do, I am making him proud. I hope that I can do the same, so that my daughter or son might remember me this way. Sadly, the older I grow, the less I remember my father’s face, but the more I have been told that I have become a lot like him. 

Comments

  1. Hi Joel! You are doing well! They say there's no such pain as loosing a loved one. I'm glad you've made most of the pain a tipping point! You're a good son and friend! I'm proud of you!. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well, thank you.


      Thank you for these very kind words and, for taking the time to read.

      Delete
    2. For you to sit and write this wonderful piece is an honor to both your mum and Dad. You are giving an opportunity for your grand children to have a reference about you. Today you a true witness of success because you have held on to the cross of Jesus and this indeed is a true testimony that gives God the glory.

      Daniel

      Delete
    3. Hey Joel,

      Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece.

      Growing up in an extended family, this relates so much to my life growing up. Reminded me of the good old days, when family time was indeed family time.

      You are truly emulating your father. He must be proud of you. Your mom, is an iron lady! I want to be like her when I grow up. :)

      Keep on keeping on. God is watching!

      Best,

      Eve.

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much Daniel. I really appreciate the feedback and kind words .

      We give Glory to God for the strength and grace.

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much, Eve for the comments and kind words.


      Yes, extended families are so interesting, alot of stories to tell.

      I will pass on the complement to my mum, she is truly an, 'iron lady.'

      Delete
  2. Beautiful strides Joel. Keep fighting the great fight of faith.
    So proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is powerful story of truimph amidst adversity! Your Dad must be looking down on your with a great smile -'my Son'. Keep up the drive! As the African saying goes "a path to ones heart desires is never overgrown "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Innocent for being a crucial part of this journey in Oxford and for this African wisdom.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Joel for sharing. Our triumphs and wounds all come from the same source -our humanity. You have experienced both. Your Dad's life is a powerful bedrock of your humanity. He stood on Higher Ground. You stand on Higher Ground. Press on, the upward way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Paul. Amen. Thank you for these kind words.

      Delete
  5. Joel, I lost my dad 26 years ago and unlike u, it took me several years to see the great man he was. It was not until I was 21 that I started realising something was missing in my life. But, over the years, I've appreciated him, the man he was and the father he was. Losing mum 3 years after him was a blow, but here I am, alive, happy, married and saying to God: Thanks for those people!

    The pain never goes away, it just gets a bit easier to carry! Years later, I miss my parents, but I can confidently say, I am proud to have known them for the 12 and 14 years I know them!

    Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isaac, thank you for sharing your experience about your dad and, that you are grateful to God for your parents. It is truly inspiring.

      I agree, the pain is recurrent but it gives perspective to life and helps us appreciate our loved ones more.

      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  6. Very touching and a great read. Got me emotional. Thanks Joel and keep it up. Your father surely must be happy and proud from where he is. Keep it up and let God continue to fill the void.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. You are welcome, Amen.

      Thank you for these kind words. I am happy that you could relate to this post.

      Delete
  7. Great piece. Bring back the fresh memories of my Dad who just like you went to a better place 18 years ago. I still feel his absence to date. 31st Dec is always time I sit down and look back at the great moments of childhood with him in the picture. My mom just like yours carried on both roles of father and mother. We'll always cherish those moments with the love ones who leave our sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you could relate to my experience and that it made you reflect on yours. I wonder how it felt for you?

      Our mothers should be celebrated more. We should cherish and love them.

      Delete
  8. Dad would be proud of you Joel. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing.. makes me think about how I am doing too in his eyes if he were here at all.
    Keep the faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Paul. I am glad you could relate with this. Let us keep the faith!

      Delete
  10. This is so emotional , the pain is sometimes too much . Dad must b happy en proud of u Joel . U remind m of him

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing. It was a touching account

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great Joel to be able to know how great your dad was and celebrate him, some try to avoid any such memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your these kind words and, for taking the time to read.

      Delete
  13. Joel, it's a nice piece and a must read for everyone. Keep up with the spirit of your dad. And to me your success is by no mistake having looked up to you in highschool. God is good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for these very kind words. I will do so. I am really humbled that you loked up to me.

      Delete
  14. Wow,this is so touching Joel!Thanks for the great fight,I know the best is yet to come!May the good Lord help you to thrive in all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivan. I am glad you were touched by this post. It is very sentimental to me. Amen.

      Delete
  15. Amazing piece Joel, you have certainly done him proud, I'm sure, as you have done those of us who have been blessed to encounter you. Your wisdom is beyond your years and your faith and consistency inspiring . You have upheld the family name, no doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this experience Joel. Very inspiring.
    May God keep furthering your dreams and ambition.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thank for these kind words . Amen.

      Delete
  17. Hey, Joel it was such an emotional and touching piece. Am sure Dad is proud of the man you have become. I like the blend of football and defence in your story. That was masterclass.

    Keep up the hard work and be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, William, for these very kind words. Haha, I had draw from one of the Manchester United greats. Amen.

      God bless you too.

      Delete
  18. "How well you manage the experience can truly make or break you"
    Am proud of the man you've become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powerful quote. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for these very kind words

      Delete
  19. Wow!! Very touching Joel am sure your father is very proud of you wherever he is. Your making many of us proud and we are blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for these very kind words. I have been fortunate and I hope that by sharing this story, others may be inspired.

      Delete
  20. Joel munha, webale inho. This piece is exceedingly emotional. I can relate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nsiimye inho, baba! I am glad that you could relate with this.

      Delete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joel, I haven't read something this moving in a while. I don't think I can read it again as I feel I'll be dragging myself into a whirlpool of emotion. I have no doubt that your father would be proud with everything that you have achieved. Against the odds, you came out on top and by the grace of God I pray you'll continue to rise in Jesus name. Amen.

    God bless you brother.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I appreciate these kind words. I understand, even for me, this post is very sentimental and emotional.

      The grace of God has been sufficient.

      Amen. I take the blessings, bro.

      Delete
  23. Joel, you are a phenomenal youmg man. Your father would be proud. Keep making him proud!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an inspirational story young man. Thank you for sharing such a sentimental piece which i believe I can relate to. I know your father would have be proud of you. And your mother must be very proud of you as well. We are glad to be part of your life and future journey. All the best. Sunita Treacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs Treacher for these very kind words. I am glad that you could relate to this piece.

      Your family has been so kind to me and I am forever grateful. Thank you for the support, I am trully humbled.

      Delete
  25. I didn't know a lot about him. But it's what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you found this helpful. Thank you for taking the time to read and for sharing this feedback.

      Delete
  26. You have done well. You have made him proud. Know this, the memory of him, his light will never leave you .
    Helga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helga, for these kind words. Amen.

      Delete
  27. He must be proud. You have done his legacy justice

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much Joel for sharing this. Dad must be immensely proud of you. Keep being the measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I hope he is. Thank you.

      Delete
  29. My Father also passed away on 30th April, although only a couple of years ago. He was in his 90s and had a long and fulfilled life, and perhaps it was his time. I had the benefit of a Father for most of my life, for which I am grateful, but it does not make the loss any easier to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting coincidence. Indeed, by all measure, Admiral Sir John D. Treacher, lived a fulfilled life, and his autobiography , "Life at Full Throttle," gives this account.


      I agree, in all circumstances, the death of a parent is not easy to take.


      Thank you for taking time to read the blog and for this feedback, Jonathan.

      Delete
  30. Thanks for this piece.Joel,
    God Richly Bless

    ReplyDelete
  31. Big salute to your mother for holding down the fort almost two decades and still soldiering onward. You have and are still achieving great milestones. Your father must be smiling and cheering you on from the sweet by and by. May his memory live on through you his namesake. Well done brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a big salute to her.

      Thank you for these kind words. Amen, and thanks.

      Delete
  32. Nice piece Joel. I am sure your father would be very proud of the man you have become. May his soul Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I appreciate this. Amen.

      Delete
  33. Nice piece. Quite sad though. I remember your father, very vocal! May he rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it is quite melancholic, but deeply meaningful and significant. Yes, he was quite outspoken. Amen.

      Delete
  34. Nice piece. Quite sad though. I remember your father, very vocal! May he rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  35. As I read each word and sentence, all that came to my mind and heart was legacy: your father’s legacy.
    I may not have gotten an opportunity to see or know your dad, but reading this blog post has given me an impression of who he was and the influence he had on you, even as a young man.
    It’s after the loss of my mother that I realized an abyssal had been dug in my life but with it I have learnt that there are empty spaces that are created in our lives that shall never be filled and questions that we shall never get answers for here or in the life to come, longings that shall never be satisfied and that’s it’s still okay. It’s part of life.
    I, furthermore, would like to commend you mother for being a virtuous woman in raising a son such as you. Your father must be looking down with an amicable heart swelling with pride at the kind of son and person you have become and looking at what’s ahead of; he marvels.
    I bless the LORD JESUS for knowing you and having you in my life. To creating greater legacies for the generations to come. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin, for these extremely kind words and for sharing your story.

      I am glad that this post has given you an impression of him and the impact he has had on me.

      I understand what the loss of a parent means especially when you say that you lost your mother,. Yes, I also still have some questions, but as you have said, that is life. Researchers say, that such experience can also be a source of strength and determination. I have seen that determination in you, already.

      Thank you for the kind words about my mother. We thank the Lord for having crossed paths.

      Yes, to creating greater legacies.

      Delete
  36. Oooh Joel, this is a wonderful piece, I didn't want it to end😊. Your dad must be looking down smiling and feeling great for what you have become. You are such a wonderful person, God-fearing , social
    and intelligent, surely your mum must be so proud of you. I thank God for having met you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these kind words. I am writing further on this subject, hopefully this will be of interest, when it is ready in the long term.

      Humbled by these generous and kind comments. Glad that we have met.

      Delete
  37. What a great piece! You certainly know how to weave a great story. The loss of a parent is such a tragic experience, one I do not even want to imagine. You are certainly the joy of every parent! Triumphing inspite of. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mercy, for these kind words. Yes, it can be a tragic experience, that teaches one a lot. Thank you for taking the time to read.

      Delete
  38. Reading this piece reminded me of my time with my mother and the time of her passing;what a wave of nostalgia! What a reflection of my own questions and feelings!

    I have learned that there is an unfathomable blessing that comes from being raised to adulthood by both your parents but there is also a clarity or maturity that comes from the loss of one's parent (assuming that that grind does not grind you to dust).

    From reading the piece, i can see that you, my dear friend, are your father's son. You have done well. Heaven smiles on you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Reading this piece reminded me of my time with my mother and the time of her passing;what a wave of nostalgia! What a reflection of my own questions and feelings!

    I have learned that there is an unfathomable blessing that comes from being raised to adulthood by both your parents but there is also a clarity or maturity that comes from the loss of one's parent (assuming that that grind does not grind you to dust).

    From reading the piece, i can see that you, my dear friend, are your father's son. You have done well. Heaven smiles on you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you, Margaret, for sharing your experience. Yes, it can be very nostalgic and inevitably raises many questions.

    "It is said that famous men (read, and women) are usually the product of unhappy childhood. The stern compression of circumstances, the twinges if adversity, the spur of splights and taunts in early years, are needed to evoke that ruthless fixty of purpose and tenancious mother-wit without which great actions can seldom be accomplished." Winston Churchill noted this about. John Churchill, of whom he was a lineal descendant.I agree, it undoubtedly gives a sense of clarity and maturity as one inevitably has to go against the odds. The grind is not easy!

    Thank you for these generous, and extremely kind words. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Brilliant, heartfelt piece Joel! I particularly liked your use of football imagery when describing your mother, as well as your account of the journeys to your village. Your father is definitely proud of the man you've become, and you're only going to make even more proud throughout your life. Keep it up and God bless.
    Azumah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Azumah. Amen. Glad that you liked the imagery and descriptions of my mother and journeys to the village.

      Delete
  42. You have done so well for yourself Joel. thank you for doing your daddy proud!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Joel, I finally read this. Been putting off for obvious reasons. I still reached that part where I couldn't hold back the tears. That universal feeling of losing a loved one. But as African religion tells us, our loved ones never really die, they just transform into the spirit world. No wonder you think of your Dad all the time. I'm sure he is proud of you and blessed you in numerous ways while he lived in this world. Keep that candle burning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so much for finding the time. Glad that you could relate with this. I will keep the candle burning, thank you for these generous comments.

      Delete
  44. Very strong Joel. Very strong πŸ’ͺ

    ReplyDelete
  45. Bro. Its always a pleasure to read your pieces. And this one deeply touched me. Thanks for giving us glimpses into to your family's story...a story of loss, love, hope and sacrifice. Oh and your mum...God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, bro. I am happy to hear this, especially that this deeply touched you. We are truly the sum of our experiences. Amen.

      Delete
  46. Hello Joel, thanks for this. You have a wonderful way of telling stories that transports the reader to the events. Those bus journeys must have been a highlight of your youth! I am glad you are seeking to tell your fathers story and I hope this will bring much joy and reflection for you, and perhaps even healing. Missing you here in Oxford. Tim

    ReplyDelete

  47. You are welcome, Tim.
    I miss you too and Danica.

    Thank you for these generous comments. I am glad that you could experience these stories with me. Yes, most of my childhood experiences bring me much joy and meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your style of writing, joel is so sensational. I was carried a long by your tale and great lessons i have learnt. Thank you so much Joel, i now know why you have a big heart. You are a print of a great Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these kind words. I am glad that there was something you learnt from this. Thank you.

      Delete
  49. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  50. What can I say?! I deleted my first comment. It wasn't loud enough to bring out what I wanted to say. I may not have the right words, but one thing I know is that he is very proud of you...wherever he is.πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘ŒπŸΎ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ronald for reading the blog post and for these very kind words. I appreciate this.

      Delete
  51. Joel, it's a pleasure that I am able to access such a passionate piece. Putting your emotions out here is only for the strong and selfless. Continue to be your "father's face" so that his powerful legacy and existence will forever be learned from.
    Kind regards, Eva.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eva, for taking the time to read and for these very kind words. Amen.

      Delete
  52. Hay joel
    I think I share the same experience with you
    Great blog,nice choice of words,the future of African writers is bright, writing our own unique experiences is great.
    Thank you joel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these very kind words.

      You are welcome.

      Delete
  53. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Joel, just like Charles Dickens in his classic "oliver twist" you too have succeeded in floading me with alot of sentiment. Life is a board game with us on one side and "x" on the other side trying to play chess with us and often stealing our pieces. I am sorry you had to lose one of your most important pieces at such a tender age. The guy on the other side "x" whoever he is and what his intentions are? we might never know for sure but what is most certain is that if one is resilient enough, at some point in life they will certainly checkmate"x" and the result often at times is a truly amazing human being with an incredible story just like your self joel.

    ReplyDelete
  56. The stone story makes me laugh each time I hear it (many times I have heard it), it doesn't matter how smart you are, those thugs always find a way to do it. Annoyingly, it's not the computer that they still but your ideas, precious memories etc. Joel, it happened to another lady colleague at ILI and she had to replace it, for it was company property! I see you looking over your shouldier and it's the weight of that stone hasn't left you...I'll inbox you my experience! You aren't alone, at least you've made a story out of itπŸ˜‚ KM

    ReplyDelete
  57. Beautiful piece🌹.
    Emotional but we thank God for he has a reason why, RIP Dad .

    "Mother's are very unique, priceless ,love them.. No one loves you Genuinely than your mother.

    Document.
    Print out books πŸ“š many need to appreciate your writings

    #silent follower

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts